Wednesday, May 11, 2005

If they were me, and I was you ...

Ok, my birthday is tomorrow. Considering how far apart the prime-numbered years are getting I am glad that my age will be divisible by five and seven.

Last week my wife gave me an early present: she took me out to see Dave Alvin (formerly of the Blasters) at the Iron Horse. Very cool show. He played an awesome version of Fourth of July. I suspect that she will also get a copy of Siddhartha Deb's new book (can't wait -- here and article he wrote about opposition to the sati in India).

I also buy a book for myself, but I am having a hard time deciding. My choices are: James Tate's new collection of poetry, Schocken Book of Modern Sephardic Literature, Earl Shorris' Latinos: A Biography of a People, the autobiography of Jazz pianist Hampton Hawes, or Lautréamont's Maldoror. Any suggestions (or additions)?

This blog has also been up for a year. I think I have had three moderately good posts:
  1. Imperfection as Great as G-d
  2. Political Journey
  3. Vinland without its Map
By this weekend I will put up a post about an "invented" anniversary, the millennium of the German Rhine in 1925, and the historiographical aftermath.

3 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!!

 
At 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Nathanael!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Nathanael said...

Thanks, Sharon, Ralph, John.

Johno, I'll take you up on that drink soon. I need to drop off some blue books and library materials in the next week or two.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home