Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Are we on the Amazing Race?

In June, when I made a brief stop in Paris, my wife and I were approached in the Latin Quarter by a woman asking for money. She was middle-aged (around 50), blond and dressed appropriately. Nothing indicated that she was at all needy. She spoke directly to us in English. She offered no explanation, only saying that she was not pretending to be poor. We told her we had nothing to spare -- the truth, since we were traveling on limited, grad student funds. Two minutes later my wife and I admitted to each other that the situation resembled any number of scenes that play out on the Amazing Race: a team that has been stripped of their money, running through the streets of a foreign town, begging for pennies but unable to explain their predicament.

I have lived in fear of being one of the people who turned down a team on the show. Seeing the teams for the eighth season has not put my mind at ease. In particular, Linda Weaver looks like the woman who approached us. G-d, don't let me look bad!

Anyway, my early bet is on the Schroeder family, but I hope the Paolo family sticks around.

2 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger Brdgt said...

But maybe your blurred out faces will be on tv!
Just last night we were joking that if we ever saw a clue box we would park ourselves there all day and offer our services to any contestants. Of course, what if we ended up helping a Colin?

Have you been watching the reruns on GSN?

-brdgt

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Nathanael said...

I would still be embarrassed ... and a little pissed. I help out so many people when I am in France (where to find monuments, train stations, money, restaurants, what to eat, what to buy ...) that to be know for turning down one broke Amazing Racer would portray me out of character.

I have seen a few of the reruns, just enough to get a sense of who the old players were. I can't stand the Andy Dick-like guy from season 2.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home