Friday, November 11, 2005

I'm game

Brandon invites bloggers to get away from work to consider a few questions. As you can tell, I decided to cut against the grain.

1) Jane Austen or Charles Dickens? Balzac -- no one should accuse me of being an Anglophile
2) Who is your favorite George Eliot character? Büchner's Woyzeck -- no one should accuse me of being a fan of Victorian Literature
3) What is your favorite play by Sophocles? Antigone (I use it to teach Classical Greece)
4) What is your favorite play by Euripides? The Bacchae
5) What is your favorite play by Shakespeare? Racine's Iphigenia (see #1)
6) Plato or Aristotle? Aristotle (I can be didactic, too)
7) Name two movies that most people have probably never seen that you would highly recommend. Belizaire the Cajun and The Unheart Music.
8) Foucault's Pendulum or The Name of the Rose? The Name of the Rose.
9) Tea or Coffee? Coffee, only because I feel cheated ordering tea while out.
10) In your opinion, the least appreciated great thinker in history is: Egyptian /French/Jewish poet Edmond Jabès and German sex researcher Magnus Hirschfeld.

And perhaps I'll add a few more questions:
11) Heidegger and Foucault? Heidegger
12) Hemingway or Steinbeck? Steinbeck
13) If you had to say one Oliver Stone film was more historical than the rest, which would you pick? The Doors (despite the hagiography of Jim Morrison, it holds up better than the other films, especially Platoon)

4 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Blogger air said...

While I greatly appreciate your answers to 1 and 10 (regarding Hirschfeld), I have to seriously question Steinbeck over Hemingway. As a Europeanist, you clearly should prefer Paris and Madrid to dust.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Brandon said...

Balzac's a good choice. I think I agree with you on all three of your added questions.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Nathanael said...

AIR, you clearly haven't known me long enough, my adversion to capital cities, including my distaste for Paris, London, and Berlin, and my taste for regional writers (like Giono and Goll.) As soon as I touch down at CDG, I'm off to the train station. Nevertheless, I like Hemingway. With regard to Hirschfeld, you might find his example, as much as his research, helpful to you.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger air said...

We are definitely on different pages as capitals go ;) They're always my first (often the only) stop when I'm in Europe.

As for Hirschfeld, I've run into him a lot already and have a feeling that he'll find a nice place in my dissertation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home