Monday, December 19, 2005

"Divine Spinoza, forgive me. I have become a fool."*

Check out this bit of good news :



Yes, my wife and I are expecting a child, some time in June. This ultrasound was taken last month at around nine weeks, and yesterday we heard the heart beat for the first time.

We are absolutely ecstatic. We have two names (one for a girl, one for a boy) that we adore. I think it will be a girl, and woe to anyone who thinks otherwise! We are excited about buying cute baby clothes, bunny suits (of course) and neat little books. And I can already imagine teaching her (or him) how to say the names of the tram stops in Strasbourg.

To my surprise I am not nervous about extra responsibilities or financial burdens. Indeed, the joy has permeated my writing, bringing levity to an otherwise dense subject.

*Kudos to anyone who can identify the reference.

6 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger Clark Goble said...

Congratulations. We recently found out that we're expecting our second. Having a kid is even better than you expect - although also much more work than you expect.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger air said...

Hey congrats!

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Brdgt said...

I recommend June 3rd to the little rabbit ;)

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Caleb McDaniel said...

Congrats and best wishes!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Nuno Guerreiro said...

Congratulations Nathaniel!!!! Mazel tov, mazel tov!

PS: The reference is from "The Spinoza of Market Street" by Isaac Bashevis Singer... I've been translating it to Portuguese in a running series for "Rua da Judiaria"...

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Nathanael said...

Thank you, everyone. Clover and Nuno are right. The reference is Singer's "Spinoza of Market Street" (in fact, I've been inspired to revisit Singer's stories after reading Nuno's translations.) I thought it was appropriate to reference a story about a scholar who rediscovers his life and work in the joys of the cycle of life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home