Tuesday, April 04, 2006

No Pre-fab Americans?

Some truth about the nature of the experience of immigration from Arlen Specter:
His father fled anti-Semitism in Russia and arrived in this country when he was 18. After the war, he settled in the Midwest, where he sold cantaloupes from the back of a car and ran a scrap yard.

Mr. Specter said his parents' struggles and successes had profoundly influenced his thinking in shepherding immigration legislation through the Judiciary Committee.

"You talk about America being a nation of immigrants," he said, "well, my two best friends were immigrants, my mother and my father. I saw how they struggled. They struggled with the language. They struggled with anti-Semitism. They struggled to make a living. It was tough. You knew you were different.

"So I have a lot of simpatico for the individuals who are immigrants. I have even more of an understanding of what immigrants have done for the country."
Integration is, and always has been, a process. The immigrant will not fit in upon arrival. Indeed, the differences between the immigrant and born Americans do not disappear, but thin out -- only if both are willing to encounter the other.

[ETA] If immigrants made America, than immigrants (illegals) are remaking New Orleans again.
New Orleans was unprepared for the large numbers of Latinos moving in. Few New Orleans residents speak Spanish. Money-wiring businesses are scarce.
The Latin character of the city may be changing from French to Latin American, but New Orleans and the entire Louisiana Territory was briefly part of Spain in the late 18th century.

7 Comments:

At 2:15 AM, Blogger Delight Car Removal said...

Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
car wreckers brisbane
car wreckers logan

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger cash for cars QLD said...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
cash for cars caboolture
sell your car Caboolture

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Ad Cash 4 Cars said...

Car Buyers Adelaide buys all kind of vehicles like car, truck, ute, van and pay top dollar cash for it plus free towing.
Car Buyers Adelaide

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Max Tiney said...

Volvo Wreckers Brisbane is a licensed Car wrecker in Brisbane who has a huge inventory of auto parts for all models.
Volvo Wreckers Brisbane

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger APlus Car Removal said...

Cash For Scrap Cars Melbourne. Cash for Scrap Car provides Top Cash for Cars & Car Removal Service that pay Cash up to $18,999 for all types of car, trucks.
cash for scrap cars Melbourne

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Benz Well said...

We are your used car buyer Melbourne gives free car removals in Melbourne that puts instant cash in your hand on the sale of your Car.
used car buyer Melbourne

 
At 2:31 AM, Blogger OZ Cash For Car said...

Hi, I am really glad I have found this info.
If you are searching for Wreckers near me in Melbourne and looking to sell your car, contact us now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home