Meta-KreuzbandAfter Ralph Luker was good enough the share resources for online newspapers, I thought I should do the same for historical news sources in German (I'll get to French later). Most of these are listed here at the Dept. of the History of Journalism at the University of Cologne--hopefully it will be kept up-to-date:
- AustriaN Newspapers Online (ANNO) is easily one of the best sites. It offers visual imprints of numerous newspapers from the 19th and 20th centuries. Unfortunately, contents of the papers don't seem to be searchable. Although these are Austrian newspapers, they are invaluable for the study of German nationalism (and don't forget, Austria wasn't de-Germanized until 1867).
- University of Bielefeld offers Zeitschriften der Aufklärung (Journals of the Enlightenment). With over 50 papers, many short lived, and searchable, this is a valuable source for the intellectual history of the 18th and early 19th centuries. Minerva makes it worthwhile.
- Bibliothek für Bildungsgeschichtliche Forschung (Library of Research on the History of Images) provides access to pedagogical newspapers and journals. The searchable database is extensive, but not all journals have been digitized. Luckily, instructions are also in English.
- Compact Memory offers imprints of Jewish periodicals.
- Exilpresse digital has papers published by Germans in exile from Nazism.