Friday, February 11, 2005

Smoky Mountain English

Is right English yorns? The Connection had a show on dialect of the Smoky Mountains in eastern Tennessee. The interviewee, Michael Montgomery, who compiled a dictionary of Appalachian words and usage (Dictionary of Smoky Mountain English), comments on the relationship between dialect and standardized language, efforts to preserve dialect in the face of deruralization, and how dialects reflect experiences of place and environment (similar to VigeƩ's thoughts on Judeo-Alsatian). The best part of the interview is the description of hunting for morels as "land fishing."

2 Comments:

At 1:57 AM, Blogger 7472 said...

Not what I was searching for, but none the less and interesting blog here. Thanks for putting it up. I've enjoyed reading alot of the text here. I got you bookmarked for the future, I'll be back.

My site is a bit different, some think it's odd. I guess it's a matter how you look at it. I have a mens male enhancement reviews related site. Most of the articles are on mens male enhancement reviews.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger TS said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home